A Well Lived Day – Your Masterpiece…The Morning.
“Make Every Day Your Masterpiece.” –John Wooden
One day is the perfect metaphor for a lifetime. We wake up, we live the day, we return to the source to regenerate. For our lifetime, we are born, we live our life, we return to the source. If we can live our day well, we can live our life well. Coach Wooden said it so simply – “Make Every Day Your Masterpiece.” It is simple and at the same time, it is profound and life changing. How would you spend the day if it was to be your masterpiece? I believe it is worth figuring out and going for… we never know how many days we will have and the days we are given truly are a gift. Our days are precious; we create and design our lives with them. If we can figure out what our Masterpiece day would look like, then we can take the steps to live it each day. A well lived day will be an on-going topic at Live What You Know, lets begin with the morning. My Masterpiece Morning for a regular day would look something like this:
- First thing – a nice cuddle with my husband – just a few special moments before we begin the day (he leaves incredibly early, so those few moments are precious)
- Up before dawn, see the sun come up, see the birds and the rays of light (or just take in nature depending on the weather), feel connected to it, rested and ready to start my day
- Workout – something to get the energy flowing and body moving – build strength and health, help the soul return to a body that is ready
- Shower and put on comfortable morning clothes
- Meditate and pray – touch the stillness and set the intention for the day
- Coffee and writing – create from the stillness where all true creativity comes from
- Post a meaningful blog that touches many people and inspires a great day for others as well as myself (not every day – but when the post is there)
- Be ready to greet the kids as they wake with joy and present energy – take in their beings as they start their day…fun cuddle time.
- Healthy breakfast with great conversation and very present energy where the kids and I set the foundation for making it a wonderful day
- INSERT REST OF MASTERPIECE HERE – with a morning like the above – anything is possible!
So, that would be my masterpiece morning.
The morning is the most important part of ensuring a well lived day. First of all, we want to live our life…we don’t want life to live us. As a recovered “night person” and someone who loves to sleep, I don’t say this easily. It takes a lot for me to stay in the vibration that allows me to make the most important decision of the day – get up real real early and get out ahead of the day and start it your way. As you can see, my idea of a perfect day includes a lot of things before the kids get up (or before others are requiring something from me – for you it may be work, etc.), the point is to start your day with plenty of time for yourself as you begin to design the day. I know for sure that this is essential to a well lived day. I have been on and off this wagon so many times, certainly enough to see that doing it is the best choice and it really does set the tone for the day! Otherwise life can take you for a ride and you are out of the driver seat and off and running in the direction of what everyone else wants from you.
Figure out what makes the morning a masterpiece for you. Include time to at least set your intention for the day. Some quiet time that allows you to feel the stillness that is behind everything will change your life. Even just meditating for a few minutes and praying to whomever you pray to (God, Universe, whatever you call it). The stillness you touch will stay in your background, it will be there when you need it later on. You can access it to add space around your choices and live in the vibration of your soul…with purpose and presence rather than reaction. It will make you better at everything you do. The prayer will remind you of your intention for the day and allow you a chance to ask to be used in the service of life…you can feel more connection to everything around you throughout the day just by taking a few minutes in the morning to ask for it. If you’re not used to morning prayers, just a few statements to yourself will do…its the same thing (another topic for another day).
Creating these habits and a great morning practice that works perfectly for you takes time and patience and lots of tweaks. There was a period where I really had it down and it changed my life…it created my best year ever…ah, 2010. As the kids got older and new commitments came in for them I let new obligations get in the way of my mornings and lost the ability to make it a priority…I just couldn’t quite figure out how to get it all in. Since that time I have been sporadic about keeping it up. I can see the effects of that on my life. I am ready to give myself the gift of living what I know in the mornings consistently. Wish me success! I wish you success too!
The first step is admitting that getting up earlier to do it is necessary and will enhance your life in countless ways. As they say…the first step is admitting it. Lets admit it and then have a go at doing it and making it stick. Admit it, try it, keep doing it if you already are, try even earlier if there is more you want to do…wherever you are on the subject… Happy Early Mornings! Be kind to yourself with setbacks!!!
PS – it should be noted that masterpiece mornings require changes at nighttime too…stay tuned for more about creating your masterpiece evening.